I was on my usual walk/run today on the National Mall when I decided to turn right after the National Phallic Symbol and walk down that street. I crossed the street and was walking parallel to the White House when all of a sudden I notice that the street was blocked and everyone was stopped, mostly the tourists. I continued to walk and as I approached the next intersection I was told to halt by a uniformed secret service man who uttered an authoritative "Please Stop Miss."
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" I said. "I was on a momentum."
But I stood there with the rest of the crowd while my muscles poked at me and seemed to be saying, 'What happened, why did we stop?' I heard the chopper overhead. Then I saw the motorcycle cops drive by followed by 3 or 4 black SUVs with one of them in the middle which had a cute little President's Logo on it. The tourists started moving forward with their cameras at which point I saw the secret service people move forward, alert to the movement taking place. I turned to the woman next to me who was trying to move forward with her camera and said, "I wouldn't make any sudden movements if I were you." She decided against going any further and stayed where she was. The SUV drove by and from the back window of the SUV with the logo I see President Bush waving towards where our crowd was standing; obviously at the kids that were standing by me.
"CAN I GO NOW?" I said out loud.
"Is this common here?" asked the woman standing next to me.
"Yes, but more annoying because it interrupts my walk."
I kept walking. My muscles happy to be moving again.
Another day in D.C.
Jul 16, 2007
Bush Sighting
Composed by
Nefertiti
at
10:33 PM
