Jan 10, 2008

Rubina

I last saw my sister from another sperm on December 18, 2007 when she drove me to the airport. Of course we were stuck in hellish traffic for about an hour and a half, thankful that we left incredibly early...sang at the top of our voices to Bollywood songs...belly-danced in our seats, which made almost every person in a car that drove by stare at us like we were two girls on speed; we didn't give a shit. We never give a shit what others think, or how loud we laugh, or what we're saying when we're together.

She is my sister. She is my best friend. She is my sanity. She is my philosopher. She is the rhyme and reason that I am still sane in this crazy city. "I will sit on you if you ever tell me you are leaving D.C. I have no idea how I'm going to explain that to my husband, but I will just sit on you so you won't be able to move," she told me when I mentioned to her that I was ready to give up and leave.

Her plane took her to Hong Kong the same day mine brought me to the States. I stepped in the Capitol and she stepped in her hotel on the other side of the globe from me. She won't be back until the end of February.

I am starting to go insane.

I have seen her and spoken to her almost every single day since the day we met. I have gone out for a cup of coffee with her at Starbucks almost every single day. I have spoken to her through every single mode of communication possible. I have stared at hot men with her.

"How U doin?!"

"ooOOOOooh A Man!"

I actually miss the way she rolls her eyes at me and says, "GOOD LORD!"

I would give anything to see her do the *whistles* *twirls finger* that she gives to anyone she thinks is a little cookoo in the head.

I don't even feel like having sheesha right now without her.

Me: You do realize that I'm a little co-dependent on you?
Her: Yea me too.

We are best friends.
We are sisters.
We cry together.
We laugh together.
We disagree together.
We forget about the disagreement the second we see each other.

She gives me her accessories when I need those perfect heels or that perfect clutch for a hot date. She and I will drive around listening to music blaring out of her car pretending like we're 16 again instead of women well in their 30's. I honestly think she is the only person on this planet that I can truly be ... just myself ... with and I know she gets me. Others have spent time with me and haven't gotten me, or still criticize me, but she and I think we must've been sisters in another life because we just understand each other and are so much alike. I've seen tears in her eyes when I've cried. I can't help but cry when I see her cry.

My heart is a little weary today and I wish she was a phone call or a metro ride or a car drive away so I could just sit and chat with her about what's bothering me. I wish she was around to share her wise words with me and comfort me with her presence. That same presence which reminds me that everything will be fine. I wish she was here so that I could just hug her.

She is the only one who understands my vulnerabilities. I need my friend right now.

I miss Rubina.

Powered By Blogger